New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Jubs
Killie Egg

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  6:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I wanted something to get a good cleaning on my smaller tanks without just using the usual airline to suck out water I wanted a way to get gunk out of the substrate as well. If you have ever tried doing that with just a piece of hose you know things just get sucked up there is no swirling around and actual cleaning just straight down the hose! So I came up with this idea...

What you need:

4-5 feet section of standard airline hose

1 plastic 3 ml pipette/eyedropper (whatever size you can get would work but I wouldn't go any smaller)

A pair of scissors

And finally about 45 seconds

Here's the supplies...

Make a cut on each end like so... (note I would cut less off the big end next time)

Put the airline on the small end of the hose and you're ready to go !

I used this on my 2.5g with sand and it works great! If you get too much suction and have something like sand you can just pinch the hose a bit to restrict the flow and keep the sand in your tank. It works like a regular gravel vac as in it will let the gravel circulate in the tube and fall back down to the bottom, this was the main purpose for making it as you can't do that with a plain hose! It also gives you enough time to actually clean the tank with the slower flow. I have the smallest commerically made gravel vac I can find designed for small tanks and it's too fast to get a good cleaning in before the water level is too low.

hallations
Killie Fry

22 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  7:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've also noticed that the commercial ones have a tendancy to not really suck up much of the gunk from your gravel, they just stir it up and put it back... This one, however, looks like it actually gets the job done. Thanks for sharing the idea.
Go to Top of Page

TAF

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  12:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Nice! I have had a lot of small tanks in my time and had the same problem you had... even the smallest gravel vac is too big. Will give this a try next time.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an Aquarist. Colorado Aquarium Society
Go to Top of Page

Jubs
Killie Egg

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  04:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you I am glad you like it. It works very well, just be careful around fry! I was using it the other day and I didn't realize how strong the suction really was and I sucked up a male Fundulopanchax deltaensis that was about 1" or so and it killed him as it jammed his head in the narrow end... I got him out in less than 5 seconds but he never bounced back. I am just hoping there is another male in the group so far not looking like it but the size is very much varied in this batch.
Go to Top of Page

TAF

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  09:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With angel fry, I had to use a small section of hard air-line tubing with a toothbrush head on the end... you drill a hole in the center of the toothbrush head and jam it on the hard air-line pipe. Of course, it was only for bare-bottomed tanks.

However, if you supperglued some white bristles on the edge of the little gravel-vac, it should help chase away small fishies.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an Aquarist. Colorado Aquarium Society
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Colorado Killie Club © coloradokillieclub.org 2008 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000